Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT TAKES SPACE ISSUE TO MAINE MODEL U.N. EVENT

A few weeks ago a high school student here in Maine called me and asked if he could meet with me to talk about space issues. He came to my house and we spent some time reviewing the key issues surrounding the militarization and weaponization of space. I gave him my book and the recent edition of the University of San Francisco's Peace Review which did a special edition on the space issue and was edited by several of us from the Global Network.

It turns out that his mother had seen me speak in Lewiston several years ago and had bought our video Arsenal of Hypocrisy and the Space Command's Vision for 2020.

The student is involved in the Maine high school Model United Nations Program where students spend a weekend each representing a different country and debate key international issues. The young man wanted to bring the Star Wars issue to the event.

Just a couple days ago I got a message from the student telling me about his great success at the Model U.N. and I asked him if I could share it on my blog. He agreed and I told him I'd not use his name. I am very proud of the young man for taking the space issue to the Model U.N. program and for helping other students from throughout Maine learn more about our efforts for peace in space. It appears that he did very well.

Dear Mr Gagnon,

The information you provided about the weaponization of space and the world at large was phenomenal, so much so, that the resolution I wrote won an award. Your novel Come Together Right Now: Organizing Stories from a Fading Empire in particular the piece on space privatization opened the eyes of the General Assembly. Superpowers such as China, Russia, and the United States although somewhat unrealistic decided to sign a treaty that would cancel their ASATs [anti-satellite weapons] and militarization of space programs. The one topic that was unanimously agreed on is that the colonization of space is inevitable...it is the last frontier! Clauses from the PAROS [Prevention of an Arms Race in Outer Space] Treaty were renewed and ICBM debate took place more importantly the United States, Israel, and Malaysia finally agreed to the PAROS Treaty. I accepted an interesting friendly amendment about a "space elevator" that I had no prior knowledge of, but the idea seemed to help make space for all developed and developing nations. The Peace Review also had a wealth of knowledge. The conference shed light on a fairly unknown issue which transcended to about 175 more advocates for peace in space and the Global Network. It was truly a pleasure meeting with you Mr. Gagnon and I will defiantly keep reading your daily blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home